Frequently Asked Questions about the Local Community Survey
This survey is designed to be hosted by a local church. It is an online survey tool will help a local church to listen and offer support to people in their local communities. It takes no more than 5 minutes for someone to complete.
This survey is for the ‘community contacts’ of a local church. A community contact is anyone with a connection to your local church, but who does not regularly attend church services. e.g. participants in activities such as play groups, ESL classes, community gardens, soup kitchens and community dinners; church hall users; local community associates and more.
The survey is anonymous and confidential.
The purpose of this survey is to help local churches listen and offer practical and spiritual support. It targets areas where local churches can make a positive contribution.
The survey introduction text says
“Our church is seeking to better understand our local community and its needs. Will you please take a few moments to give us some feedback?
This survey is being conducted by NCLS Research, Australia's leading church research agency. This survey is anonymous and confidential.”
The Local Community Survey is being offered as an optional extension of the 2021 National Church Life Survey (2021ncls.org.au). It is not currently offered as a standalone survey.
There are 21 questions. It should take a person between 5 and 10 minutes to complete.
The survey includes questions on the following topics:
- About the neighbourhood: levels of satisfaction, whether people help each other and how churches can make a useful contribution
- Wellbeing: overall wellbeing, levels and sources of stress and support
- Church connections: Points of connection with churches, history of attendance at church services in person or online and likelihood to recommend this church to others
- Spiritual/religious identity and practices and interest in spiritual resources from church
- Demographics: age, gender, ethnicity, education.
You may choose the length of time. We recommend a minimum of two weeks to around a month.
A unique survey link for your church: NCLS Research will provide you with a unique online link to your church's survey. Anyone who clicks on the link will be able to complete the survey.
Actively promote: Churches will need to actively promote this survey to get responses. Taking part is always optional for people and there are a lot of demands on their time.
Respect people's privacy: It is important to respect people by only sending it directly to groups that have given permission to be contacted. We suggest using a 'snowball technique' where you ask others to forward it on their own contacts.
Multiple ways to promote: There are many ways to promote this survey link including:
- Publish it in your church newsletter
- Highlight on your social media - perhaps paying to boost it in your local area
- Promote on your website
- Send it to everyone in your own church directory lists
- Ask your regular church attenders to promote it to their own contacts
- Ask your key contacts (such as a co-ordinator of an activity, a hall hirer) to send it to their own contact lists.
The cost of a Local Community Survey is a flat $200 (plus GST) for an unlimited number of online surveys. This fee assumes that it is ordered as a component of the full 2021 NCLS.